Damien O’Neil was arrested by anti-terror cops at Sydney airport, in Australia, on Thursday after he allegedly made online threats against the city’s New Year’s celebrations.
O’Neil, 40, had been returning to Australia from London when police said they received a tip off from the public.
Police believe O’Neil, who is believed to be a resident of Sydney, was acting alone and had “no links to any cultural groups”.
“We ask people to remain vigilant”
NSW Deputy commissioner Catherine Burn
New South Wales state acting deputy commissioner Frank Mennilli said: “He did post on social media a number of threats of some possible activity that he could be undertaking.”
Police have not provided details about the threats.
Documents and hard drives were also seized after cops searched a Sydney home and storage facility.
INCREDIBLE: Fireworks explode over Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament during the New Year celebrations
Deputy commissioner Catherine Burn said: “Investigations into this matter so far indicate this was an isolated incident.
“As a consequence, we are confident that there are no current or specific threats to New Years Eve and, while we ask people to remain vigilant, people should enjoy the celebration.”
Sydney Harbour’s New Year’s Eve firework are expected to attract up to 1.5 million people on Saturday night.
The arrest comes a week after police said they had foiled a “significant” ISIS-inspired terror plot targeting Melbourne.
Source : Daily Star