A woman narrowly avoided serious injury when her Aldi scales exploded into pieces as she stepped onto them.
Paula Richards had barely touched the scales when shards of glass were sent flying through the air.
She had bought the product from an Aldi store in Atherstone in Warwickshire around three weeks before the incident.
The Coventry Telegraph reports the supermarket has apologised and launched an investigation into the product.
Paula said: “They’re kept out the way and on that morning I went to pick them up to move them so I could weigh myself and they just exploded.
“I was very shocked and glad it hadn’t happened when I stood on them else they could have cut me,” she added.
After the scary incident, Mrs Richards, who is undergoing chemotherapy, is calling for people to watch out if they own the scales and for the supermarket to recall the product.
She added: “If they’re faulty they need recalling and if anyone has any they need to be very cautious as potentially dangerous.”
Afraid that someone else could be put in danger if the scales broke in other homes, Mrs Richards went to Facebook to warn others.
She told people to beware that they could explode and was advised to contact the store.
Paula added: “I put them on the Atherstone forum site to warn others and the area manager Tom contacted me straight away.
“He’s arranged to collect them from me and forward them to be investigated and give me a full refund.”
Area manager Tom Myatt took flowers and a bottle of wine to Mrs Richards when he picked up the scales and has told her he will keep her up to date with the investigation into the issue.
An Aldi spokesperson said: “We are sorry to hear about Ms Richards’ experience with this product and have offered her a full refund.
“We have not received any other complaints about this product but have passed her feedback onto our supplier to investigate how such damage could have occurred.”
The scales were one of Aldi’s special buy items and were therefore only on sale for a limited time.
Related video – E-cig battery explodes in a man’s pocket right next to pram
Video will play in
E-cig battery explodes in a man’s pocket right next to pram